This Thursday, join the Lights On Afterschool Youth Town Hall – Thu Oct 28 – 6pm EST
Join us for the centerpiece event of the 22nd annual Lights On Afterschool, the nation’s celebration of afterschool programs. U.S. Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona will kick off the event with a special message about afterschool programs’ role in supporting students. Then, in a panel moderated by radio personality Ally Lynn, young people from around the country will share their reflections on the role of afterschool programs in their lives before and during the pandemic, their perspectives on what youth need to thrive, and their hopes for the future. A special segment will be devoted to recognizing the powerful role of afterschool program staff and mentors in shaping the lives of young people.
Lights On Afterschool is held each October to shine a light on afterschool programs and the opportunities they provide young people to learn and grow. In a typical year, 8,000+ events draw 1 million Americans. This year, a mix of in-person and virtual activities will take place.
- Jodi Grant, Executive Director, Afterschool Alliance – Welcome
- U.S. Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona – Opening Remarks
- Youth Panel featuring:
- Moderator Ally Lynn, radio personality at WBHJ 95.7-FM Birmingham and KHTE 96.5-FM Radio Little Rock-Pine Bluff
- Afterschool Youth Ambassadors from around the country
- Brock Brewer, Youth Afterschool Ambassador and student at Youth and Family Link Afterschool Program in Kelso, WA
- Belen Perez, Youth Afterschool Ambassador and student at Community Lodgings in Alexandria, VA
- Ramaya Thomas, Youth Afterschool Ambassador and student at VOX Atl in Dallas, GA
- Youth from the Million Girls Moonshot initiative
- Amanda Gutierrez, 15, Sophomore at Lincoln Pius HS, Mathcounts, Lincoln, NE
- Elon Tullock, 18, 12th grade, Calhoun County High School, SC Afterschool Alliance and Claflin University’s Biomedical/Biomaterials Summer Research Program, Gaston, SC
- Albert Shumake, River City Drum Corp afterschool program and River City Drumbeat afterschool documentary