The Million Girls Moonshot: January Quality Trainings and Transformative Practices for Programs and Families
The Moonshot will be active in out-of-school programs in all 50 states, leveraging the Mott-funded 50 State Afterschool Network, which has access to more than 10 million youth and 100,000 afterschool programs across the country. Over the course of the new year NJSACC’s STEM Specialist Chris Jorn will bring you The Million Girl Moonshot monthly newsletter. Each month Chris will be rounding up accessible training opportunities, role models, and most importantly STEM activities for New Jersey’s after school community. The Million Girl Moonshot newsletter is designed to provide a diverse learning experiences for both afterschool staff and students along with grant opportunities to help implement real world STEM activities into your program.
The Million Girls Moonshot seeks to re-imagine who can engineer, who can build, who can make. It will inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging one million more girls in STEM learning opportunities through afterschool and summer programs over the next 5 years.
The Moonshot will be active in out-of-school programs in all 50 states, leveraging the Mott-funded 50 State Afterschool Network, which has access to more than 10 million youth and 100,000 afterschool programs across the country.
Quality Trainings for Programs
- Are you asking the right questions? Learn how to ask the right questions & set youth on the right path for #STEM exploration and discovery w/ @mmsa_org ACRES January cohort → https://bit.ly/3jjhmaB
Activities for Programs
- Looking for #STEM activities & challenges? Check out this toolkit from @expand_school → https://bit.ly/3p8OfJp
- Try this cool engineering activity – design, build, and test a cooler with @TeachEngineeringDigitalLibrary → https://bit.ly/3kYBBfd
- Straws + Plastic wrap = boat? Build a boat that floats with @DesignSquad! https://bit.ly/3zEe3ke
Equity & Inclusion
- Math Equity Toolkit: check out these 5 strides of math instruction for Black, Latinx, and Multilingual students (grades 6-8)! https://equitablemath.org/
- From @InventorsHOF: The Importance of Equity in STEM Education → https://bit.ly/3F33qKN
- Math is an integral part of engineering. Learn how to utilize engineering activities to foster a deep understanding of math concepts: https://bit.ly/30Dkubm
- In search of creative #STEM activities? Check out this #STEM Educators Academy Activity Toolkit from @expand_school → https://bit.ly/3p8OfJp
Incorporating Role Models for Programs
- Aerospace #engineer @SeeSydSoar is showing @danniwashington how flying is possible. Don’t miss this video! ✈️ https://bit.ly/2TxlhqL
- Activity Alert! – Take flight with super simple paper airplane activity.
- Satellites keep us connected – even from 22,000 miles away! Check out this video to learn more about satellites → https://bit.ly/3xWVLKm @goldieblox
- Activity Alert! – Get the creative juices flowing and create your own satellite with this fun template from @goldieblox! https://bit.ly/3zso8QX
- Check out a day in the life of @IfThenSheCan ambassador @paleontologica_ ? https://bit.ly/37A4iYj #girlsinSTEM
- A puzzler, a detective, a dinosaur kid…a paleontologist! Hear more from @IfThenSheCan ambassador @paleontologica_ https://bit.ly/3CK6lqQ #girlsinSTEM
- Fossils help us understand the earth’s history – and future. Learn more about a day in the life of @paleontologica_ https://bit.ly/3sbZktZ #girlsinSTEM
- Activity Alert! – You can work like a paleontologist using just a toothpick and a cookie! Check out this scrumptious activity from @paleontologica_ https://bit.ly/2VQwljF
- [TOOLKIT] 4 best practices for effectively engaging families in mathematics education → https://bit.ly/3lqZISu
- Check out this toolkit to learn how to implement a Community Math Night for K-5th grade! https://bit.ly/3mqqdZD
- Hear from #OST educators and professionals have approached the challenge of brokering in this toolkit from @HiveResearchLab #afterschoolSTEM https://bit.ly/3eOGK5T
Questions? Please contact Chris Jorn for help at: firstname.lastname@example.org