Shaping Summer Experiences: Opportunities to promote healthy development and well-being for children and youth
Join us Wednesday, February 19 at 2:00 p.m. (ET) for the third presentation in our Winter Webinar Series, Shaping Summer Experiences: Opportunities to promote healthy development and well-being for children and youth, with panelists from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine Report Committee.
With support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Wallace Foundation, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine convened a committee of experts in 2018 to study and prepare a report on the state of the sciences, and how summertime experiences affect school age children across education, health, and safety. Released in late 2019, the report put forth a number of recommendations to inform federal, state, local, and organizational decision-makers on developing programs and policies to support the healthy development and learning of all children during the summer months. Committee members will join the webinar to speak about some of the recommendations, what action practitioners can take, and areas for future research.
- Karl Alexander, John Dewey Professor Emeritus of Sociology, Johns Hopkins University
- Nancy L. Deutsch, Professor, Director of Youth-Nex, University of Virginia
- Chris Smith, President and Executive Director, Boston After School & Beyond
- Please share this information with peers who also may wish to join us.
And be sure to register on their website for the other upcoming webinars in their series!
Transforming Teacher Practice – The Promise of Summer Learning for Job-Embedded SEL Development
- Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 2:00 p.m. (ET)
- Presenters: Christine Baines, Senior Manager Professional Development & Quality and Bryan Hall, Senior Director, Evaluation, BellXcel
Research demonstrates that adults learn best when they are able to test and apply new strategies in real-world environments. Summer affords teachers the opportunity to engage in concrete experiences, try out new approaches and techniques, and reflect with peers to develop insights into what works. In this webinar, BellXcel will explore how to leverage summer environments to advance teacher development and SEL skills, as research suggest that summer may be under-utilized as a learning lab for educators.