21St Century Afterschool Science Project (21st CASP)
The 21st Century Afterschool Science Project is a 21 lesson curriculum designed to enrich student learning through inquiry-based, interactive science experiences using every day materials. Developed in partnership with Liberty Science Center, this fun and engaging “water” curriculum is easy to implement and reinforces the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards in science, literacy, and math. This project was pilot tested and evaluated over a 2 year period. The evaluation demonstrated successes on many fronts including:
* Creating a replicable model designed for afterschool, OST and extended-day programs to implement science programming;
* Increasing OST staff capacity to facilitate science learning in the afterschool setting;
* Increased student engagement, skill and knowledge related to science;
* Developing and piloting curricular materials tailored for the OST setting, which imbed math and language arts components, and which are grounded in the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and inquiry-based learning; and
* Involving families in hands-on science, math and language arts activities in support of their children’s learning.
This training is relevant for all afterschool providers and is especially geared for those without science background, as is the entire model.
This training will provide afterschool staff with a free science curriculum funded by the New Jersey Department of Education.
“This project was funded in its entirety with federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended by No Child Left Behind, Title IV, Part B, 21st Century Community Learning Center (21st CCLC) grant funds through a grant agreement with the New Jersey Department of Education.”
All participants will receive a CD copy of the curriculum.
Participants will receive 2.5 hours of professional development hours.
When: Friday December 4th, 2009
10am to 12:30pm
Cost: $10.00 includes curriculum
Where: NJSACC Office
@ First Baptisit Church of Westfield
170 Elm Street
Westfield, NJ 07090
LAST DAY TO REGISTER IS November 30th, 2009.